Betfred Sport

Late Eastham goal earns draw for Bury in six goal thriller

Total Football's 2012 Young Contributor Award winner Marcus Banks was given the opportunity to attend Bury's League One clash with Huddersfield on Saturday and, along with our main Total Football Contributor Award winner Chris Smith, the pair were given the opportunity to write the match report for the club's official website.

They picked a good game to attend, with six goals in an entertaining draw, including two from Huddersfield hotshot Jordan Rhodes. Here's Marcus's Total Football match report...

Bury 3-3 Huddersfield

Richie Barker made three changes from the side that lost 2-1 to Hartlepool on Tuesday. On loan Giles Coke drops from the squad while Andy Bishop and Lateef Elford-Alliyu were among the substitutes. Lenell John-Lewis and Peter Sweeney come into the side while Bury welcome Mike Grella to their starting 11 to make his full debut. Scotland hit-man Jordan Rhodes starts for Huddersfield, who demote 33 year old striker Alan Lee to the bench.

Bury started brightly but Huddersfield punished them for an early defensive mistake. But after 20 minutes, Sean Morrison was allowed to toe poke to ball home after Bury failed to clear from a corner. Lenell John-Lewis won a corner for Bury three minutes later after Steve Morrison blocked his cross. Schumacher delivered but Huddersfield keeper Alex Smithies collected and sprung a counter-attack.

Scott Arfield led the counter charge before giving Danny Ward to ball to cross for Jordan Rhodes, to head into the bottom corner on 24 minutes. The cross wasn’t closed down and there was no real challenge to stop the Scotsman from bagging his 31st league goal.

Bury responded with some good pressure and a number of corners and crosses testing the Huddersfield defence. But Rhodes and Danny Ward were causing the Shakers problems and a good break away from Huddersfield and some poor defending from Bury gave Rhodes the chance to double his tally with a thunderous drive into the top corner; his 32nd of the campaign.

However Bury fought one back through captain Steven Schumacher on 32 minutes. A late challenge by Joey Gudjonsson on the former Everton man led to the resulting free kick being fired in to the bottom corner from 30 yards. A great strike from their skipper, gave Bury an ounce of hope.

Good pass

Lee Novak had a chance just before half-time after a good pass by Arfield but he dragged his shot wide.

The second half began with both sides making changes. On loan David Amoo replaced Mark Carrington who was carrying an injury, while Huddersfield introduced Callum Woods in place of Jack Hunt who was on the verge of being sent off.

Amoo made an immediate impact and after some good skill down the right wing won a free-kick in a dangerous area. Schumacher’s delivery caused problems and the clearance went only as far as Worrall, who struck a fierce drive into the pack of defenders. Bury were starting to look more cohesive when attacking and Amoo troubled again but Lenell John-Lewis couldn’t finish at the far post.

Peter Sweeney committed a foul on 55 minutes and Joey Gudjonsson fired the free kick goal bound from 30 yards. Bury keeper Trevor Carson tipped round the post well and punched the resulting corner down field for a counter attack. Amoo led the line but the move broke down and the Terriers broke. Ward’s shot was parried by Carson who quickly re-collected the ball.

The game became quite scrappy and a lot of long balls were being pumped forward. Huddersfield were dominating and penned the Shakers back into their own half. Danny Ward intercepted a stray pass and his shot from a tight angle smashed the woodwork. Goal-scorer Lateef Elford-Alliyu was brought on to replace debutant Mike Grella.

Energetic running

Amoo again provided the threat for Bury and some energetic running saw his low cross into the penalty area was met by Lendell John-Lewis to finish.

This goal gave Bury hope and they continued to push on for an equaliser. Simon Grayson must have felt a goal was coming as Huddersfield isolated Jordan Rhodes up front and tried to defend their lead. Waves of attacks flooded to Huddersfield half and their defence struggled to cope with Elford-Alliyu as his shot was put out for a corner. Sweeney’s cross was cleared straight back to him and his second delivery was headed wide by Joe Skarz.

With five minutes added on, Richie Barker urged his team forward in search of that all important goal. Steven Schumacher found Lateef Elford-Alliyu who won another corner. Bury made the pressure count as Sweeney’s cross found defender Ashley Eastham to smash home and level the score.

Bury held on for a hard fought draw at Gigg Lane and disappointed a Huddersfield side in the play-off places. The Shakers remain comfortably in 14th place and Barker’s men will go into a tough game against Sheffield Wednesday with confidence.

Charlton lead the way in League One, with Sheffield United trailing by 13 points although the Blades are still in an automatic promotion place. Huddersfield remain in the play-off places along with Sheffield Wednesday, MK Dons and Notts County. At the other end of the table, Exeter sit worryingly close to the relegation zone with Walsall just one point away from safety. Below them are Chesterfield, Rochdale and Wycombe who sit dead bottom.

By Marcus Banks

< Back to League One